Top Sustainable Venues located in The Hague
Many partners of The Hague Convention Bureau are actively improving their processes in order to live up to a more sustainable approach in the business event industry. As a result, many venues in The Hague currently hold the Green Key Label of Excellence certificate. Find out which 5 venues in The Hague live up to the top sustainability standards!Sustainability in The Hague
The Louwman Museum, which houses the world’s oldest private collection of automobiles, was awarded ‘Best Event Location of 2017’ at the Meeting Business Event (MBE) in The Netherlands. Besides, the venue focuses on creating an optimal sustainable experience for its visitors.
- The venue uses a Heat Cold Storage (WKO) installation, using geothermal energy for heating and cooling
- Its building management system regulates heating, cooling and air conditioning individually in each room for maximum efficiency
- All the energy is generated by over 1,000 rooftop solar panels.
- The venue works with many partners that are also committed to corporate sustainability and use high-quality, environmentally friendly products.
For generations, the Museon has united culture, nature and science. The venue understands that delegates and event planners of today wish to have their event at an inspiring, safe location, with a sustainable approach. Museon's management and staff are committed to a responsible, sustainable and environmentally friendly approach in a variety of ways. Such as:
- A separate waste collection;
- Energy and water management;
- Having one of the largest solar panels in The Hague;
- Having a green sedum roof on top of the building.
In this way, Museon contributes to reducing the CO2 emission of The Hague. Besides, they are a partner of the United Nations and their central exhibit "One Planet" is based on the seventeen Sustainable Development Goals of the UN that stand for a better, safer and more just world.
Court Garden Hotel
Court Garden Hotel is the first eco-designed hotel in The Netherlands, receiving an official Green Declaration from the Ministry of Environment, the Energy Label A+ and the Green Key Gold label.
- The hotel is renovated using recycled and energy-saving materials;
- Court Garden is completely insulated to keep cold, heat and noise to a minimum.
- Energy-saving lamps, sensor lights, keycard energy-saving devices in the rooms and the use of a gas absorption warming pump all help to reduce energy consumption. These measures have seen the hotel’s carbon footprint, gas usage and electricity usage more than halve!
- The hotel only uses 100% organic and fair-trade products and was awarded the 100% EKO-trade certificate as a result.
- It also has 20 bicycles available to rent, ensuring delegates have a green way to get to their conference.
World Forum The Hague
World Forum is a full-service international convention centre in The Hague with the biggest meeting space capacity for around 2,160 people and 36 breakout rooms. Together they can accommodate a total of 5,000 people. Besides, the venue is keen on offering their visitors a sustainable experience.
- The venue holds the Golden Green Key label and is a member of the United Nations Global Compact, which is a non-binding United Nations pact to encourage businesses worldwide to adopt sustainable and socially responsible policies and to report on their implementation.
- 100% of its energy is renewable and new air-conditioning systems, the frequency-related pumps and installation of LED lights has made its energy consumption drop.
- Since 2020, they own a number of Dunea water taps. With these taps, visitors of the venue will be able to tap free and unlimited tap water. The taps ensure that the venue no longer sells (flat) bottled water. In this way, they are contributing to reducing plastic waste.
- They have recently opened a green roof, resulting in many benefits for the environment.
The Fokker Terminal is a one-of-a-kind venue that was founded ten years ago as an event location. The Fokker Terminal has become popular for large-scale conferences and (business) events and won several awards including the Best Conference Location in the West-Holland region and the Best Conference Venue in the Netherlands in 2018. By actively investing resources in sustainability and minimising the environmental impact of its visitors and suppliers, the team of Fokker Terminal is constantly working on improving its facilities and services.
- The FT is a CO2-neutral and water-neutral venue;
- The FT uses 600 rooftop panels generating 160,000 kWh of electricity annually;
- The FT uses water-saving toilets, recycled event carpet, LED lighting, 100% biodegradable disposables and locally-sourced food from sustainable suppliers only.